Creative Writing Course for English Speakers
COURSE: Creative Writing for English Speakers
Creative Writing for English Speakers is for native or second language English speakers who would like to learn the basic ingredients of qualitative creative writing, be it short or longer fiction or memoir.
Short stories, novellas, longer works of fiction and even poetry all require the same basic ingredients to draw readers in and to keep them turning the page. Collecting ideas to write about, characterisation, dialogue, points of view, plotting your work, creating tension, editing and revising – these are all topics that you will be introduced to over the course of 8 workshops. You will also learn to access your creativity and switch off your logical brain half during the initial stages of writing. This course aims to introduce you to the joy and creativity of writing as a form of self-expression.
Creative Writing for English Speakers covers a wide range of exercises to hone your creative writing skills, to write lively and vivid prose and create unforgettable characters. This course will help you cultivate a productive writing habit and teach you how to edit and revise your work.
Over the course of 8 workshops you will learn how important it is to employ your creative brain half when writing creatively, you’ll be guided through many creative exercises, experience a significant improvement in your style and quality of writing and ultimately communicate more effectively with your (future) readers. Besides the workshops, you will be expected to complete about 1,5 – 2 hours of homework per week. The exercises will be discussed in the group and you’ll receive feedback from both your peers as well as the tutor.
This course is for beginners and beginners with experience. It is for anyone who has a good command of the English language and wants to express themselves in it creatively. It is not a language course for people still trying to get to grips with English.
Colette Victor is a twice published author (Head over heart, Chicken House 2014, YA fiction and What to do with lobsters in a place like Klippiesfontein, Cargo Publishing 2015, literary fiction.) She is an experienced writer of many years and a trained creative writing teacher. Colette has extensive experience in coaching new writers, teaching workshops, organising writers’ retreats and giving constructive literary feedback.
- Stimulate creativity during the writing process
- Produce livelier and more readable content for your readers
- Improve your writing skills
- (Re)discover the pleasure of writing
- Learn with and from your peers
- Find new and fresh topics to write about
- Learn new ways of releasing your creativity
- Get a first introduction to and understanding of the following elements: genres, setting, characterisation, dialogue, point of view, plotting, descriptive language, plotting and revising.
WHY THIS COURSE Creative Writing for English Speakers?
- Practical workshops with a maximum of 10 participants
- Qualitative personal attention and feedback from the tutor
- Learning with and from peers
- Intensive creative writing training with many exercises
- Cover a lot of ground in a short space of time
- A qualified tutor with many years of writing experience
- In the centre of Brussels, easy access by public transport
DATES: Saturday 25 March, 1, 22, 29 April; 6, 13, 20 May and 3 June
De Markten vzw
NUMBER OF WORKSHOPS: 8
NUMBER OF PARTICIPANTS: 8 – 10
TIME: 10h00 – 13h00
FEES: €240 for early registrations (until 28 February 2017) and €270 for students registering thereafter. Send an email to email@example.com for payment details. Payment secures your place on the course. Confirmation of payment will be by email.
TUTOR: Colette Victor
- After registration you have 14 days in which to change your mind. Within these 14 days you are entitled to cancel your enrolment without providing a reason (by sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org) After this, your enrolment on the course is irreversible.
- In the case that there are fewer than 8 participants enrolled at the start of the course, we reserve the right to cancel it. We will undertake to inform all enrolled participants of the cancellation. In the case of a course cancellation, we will refund all participants the full amount of their fees paid.
- You can register your interest in this course by sending an email to email@example.com Creative Writing for English Speakers in the subject line.